Subject: Florence Palsgrove, left, and Chloe Lisle, about 1933.

Subject: - Chloe Lisle, Main Street, Beatty, Nevada, 1932 or 1933.

Subject: - Photograph from a page of unidentified source featuring pictures of aspects of work associated with Beatty's Episcopal Church. Enlargements of these pictures are featured in Photographs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 of this collection.

Subject: - Rear of Beatty's Episcopal Church on Main Street, date unknown.

Outhouse used at Beatty's Episcopal Church, probably 1940's or 1950's.

Subject: A trailer occupied by Ken Priest, priest at the Beatty Episcopal Church. He occupied the trailer upon first coming to Beatty in the early 1950's.

Subject: Beatty Episcopal Church workers' living quarters, prior to upgrading, probably 1950's.

Subject: Unidentified Beatty children. Date unknown

Subject: Dedication of the Beatty Fire Hall (known in 1988 as the Ambulance Hall), located on 4th and Montgomery, ca. 1960.

Subject: Beatty Episcopal Church, Main Street, date unknown

Subject: Photograph from an unidentified newspaper showing dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremonies at the Beatty Fire Hall, Beatty, Nevada ( called the Ambulance Hall in 1988), July 4th, 1960s.

Subject: Demonstrators protesting nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site, early 1950s. Ralph Lisle was Justice of the Peace in Beatty at the time. This photograph was reproduced from a newspaper clipping, date and issue unknown.

Subject: Dedication of the Beatty Fire Hall (known in 1988 as the Ambulance Hall), July 4th, 1960s.

Subject: Demonstrators protesting nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site during the early 1950s. this photograph was reproduced from a newspaper clipping, date and issue unknown.

Subject: Persons who were among demonstrators protesting nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site, early 1950s. Ralph Lisle, Beatty Justice of the Peace, is at the far right. This photograph is a reproduction of a picture contained in an unidentified newspaper.
Subject: Beatty, Nevada, school picture, 1938. Back row, far left, Mr. Dees, teacher of grades 5 through 8. Chloe Lisle, second from the left in the back row, taught grades 1 through 4. Ert Moore, principal and high school teacher, is the bald-headed man standing next to Chloe Lisle. Robert Revert is the tall boy with glasses in the back row. Johnny Cobb is the tall boy next to Revert. In the front row at the far left is Dewey Ishmael; Jack Crowell (blond-haired boy in the striped shirt) is sitting in the middle of the front row. Several Indian children attended the school. All others not identified.

Subject: A rare photograph of M. M. "Old Man" Beatty, occupant of the Beatty Ranch at the time of Rhyolite's founding, and namesake of the town of Beatty, Nevada. Date and name of newspaper (from which photo was taken) unknown.

Subject: Looking north up Main Street, Beatty, Nevada, following a flood in the early 1930's. The old Revert Store with its rounded roof is visible in the distance on the left, and a sign for the Mayflower Hotel can be seen on the right.

Subject: Mrs. Bennett, a school teacher at Beatty, Nevada, about 1933. Mrs. Bennett was from Johnnie, Nevada. This picture was taken in Beatty.

Subject: The Beatty Auto Court, known as the "Yellow Cabins," 1930's. the cabins were located on the far side of the Amargosa River channel as one enters town from the north.

Subject: Beatty, Nevada, looking northwest, 1930s. the railroad station is visible on the left.

Subject: - Main Street, Beatty, Nevada, looking north, early 1930s. Note the unpaved roads, cottonwood trees lining the street, canopies over store fronts, and partially visible sign for the Exchange Hotel on the right

Subject: A highway sign is being readied at the Beatty Auto Court, Beatty, Nevada, early 1930s. The sign was painted by Chloe Lisle's stepfather and was placed 30 miles down the highway toward Las Vegas, in the vicinity of Lathrop Wells, Nevada. this picture is particularly valuable because it provides a listing of many of the businesses located in Beaty at that time.

Subject: - - View from the Beatty Auto Court looking northwest to the highway across the Amargosa River channel, on the north end of Beatty, early 1930s. Heavy equipment is engaged in road paving.

Subject: Blacktopping activities on the highway at the north end of Beatty, looking northeast across the Amargosa River channel from the Beatty Auto Court, early 1930s.

Subject: - Ore mill near Carrara, Nevada, early 1930s. ore from the gold Ace Mine was processed here. The mill was powered by diesel electricity generated at the millsite. Vic Retterer and his son Homer ran the diesel plant.

Subject: Panamint City, California, early 1940's. By this time Panamint city was pretty much a ghost town, but Ralph Lisle and his partners lived here while working a nearby tungsten mine. Because there was no road from Panamint City to the mine, all transporting was done by burros, shown here loaded with cargo.

Subject: - Lottie Mills, mother of Chloe Lisle, on the front porch of her home on Main Street, Beatty, Nevada, early 1930's. The house burned down in the 1950s; in 1988 the site was occupied by Beatty's TV station.

Subject: Lottie Mills, mother of Chloe Lisle, with two pack burros, Panamint City, California, early 1940's.

Subject: - Chloe Lisle and her son Jimmy Lisle on Montgomery Street, Beatty, Nevada 1946. During World War II gas and tires were scarce, so many people rode bicycles around town.

Subject: Left to right, Bill Martin, Ralph Lisle, Phillip Lisle, and Sam Colvin, brother of Chloe Lisle, in Panamint City, California, early 1940s. The men were partners in a tungsten mine outside Panamint City.
Subject: - Jimmy Lisle, son of Chloe and Ralph Lisle, pictured with his maternal grandmother, Lottie Mills, in the front yard of a house on Montgomery Street, Beatty, Nevada, about 1944. The Beatty Town Hall is visible in the distance. The hall was originally the Miners' Union Building in Rhyolite, Nevada, and was moved to Beatty. The Beatty Police Station and the Fire Hall now (1988) sit at the approximate location of this old town hall.

Subject: Man known as "Gasoline" Bill pictured in front of the Revert Store on Main Street, Beatty, Nevada, early 1930s.

Subject: - Ballarat, California, in the foothills of the Panamint Mountains, near Trona. Pictured is the home of "Seldom-Seen Slim." Left to right, Matt Ryan, an employee of the U.S. Park Service; Seldom Seen Slim; Lottie Mills, mother of Chloe Lisle; a woman who worked in Trona but whose name is not recalled; and Chris West, who lived up Surprise Canyon in the Panamint Mountains

Subject: Front of the Episcopal Church, Beatty, Nevada, ca. 1930. Left to right, Mrs. Ray, Mrs. Albert Revert, Edith Revert, unidentified woman, Mrs. O'Brien, Mrs. McRae, and Mrs. Harvey. The Episcopal Church was the only church in town at that time.

Subject: - Chloe Lisle talking to Red Mills in front of the barber shop on Main Street, Beatty, Nevada, about 1932. Lisle was taking haircutting lessons at the barber shop at that time, and Red Mills, Homer and Vic Retterer, and Lisle's brother, Sam Colvin, allowed her to practice her haircutting skills on them.

Subject: Lottie Mills, Chloe Lisle, and Jimmy Lisle, early 1940s.

Subject: - Phillip Lisle, brother of Ralph Lisle, with 3 pack burros heading for a tungsten mine out of Panamint city, California, early 1940s.

Subject: Ralph Lisle with 2 pack burros used to transport supplies and ore to and from his tungsten mine located out of Panamint city, California, early 1940s.

Subject: - Looking west at the yard of Lottie Mills, mother of Chloe Lisle, Beatty, Nevada, about 1932. The Beatty Episcopal Church is faintly visible on the very far left of the picture, between the fence post and the bush. The old Town Hall is also visible in the distance.

Subject: Left to right, Lorraine Thomas, Babe Palsgrove, Chloe Lisle and Florence Phinney. Beatty, Nevada, early 1930s.

Subject: - Front of the store next to the Exchange Club, Main Street, Beatty, Nevada, early 1930s. C. G. Johnson, stepfather to Chloe Lisle, was proprietor of the store, which housed the Beatty Post Office in a corner.

Subject: Warm Springs, Nevada, located 50 miles east of Tonopah on Highway 6, either 1937 or 1938. A bar stood to the left of the building pictured here, and a school stood to the right, near the present (1988) site of the big, stone corral. Mrs. Wilson ran a boarding house in the largest building pictured here.